Saturday, January 10, 2009

Detroit

More snow...More snow... more snow. Just a few weeks ago, I was thrilled to get out the snow blower I bought a couple years ago that I generally only use twice a year, then let the snow pile up the rest. Now I look outside and it makes me think of how messy it is going to look tomorrow. All black with salt and filthy.

Speaking of filthy. Forbes has listed Detroit, the countries most miserable city.
http://www.forbes.com/home/business/2008/01/29/detroit-stockton-flint-biz-cz_kb_0130miserable.html

I hope things do not have to get worse before they get better. I was listening to sports radio a few weeks ago and a guy called in to talk about why no one is going to Lions games, it was eluded to that in our economy, we can't afford it anymore. The guy calls in and like 3 words in, he starts balling and can't stop on the radio. Trying to explain through tears and snot that he had lost his home he raised his kids in, he lost his wife because he couldn't provide for her the way she wanted him to. He was sleeping on a friends couch in their basement. It broke my heart. Yet, everyone who is responsible for this crappy economy are still so proud that they are unwilling to budge their way for an answer. This doesn't look good.

It is a bit telling when two adult men just showed up to my door wanting to shovel my walk. This used to be a job for the kids to make extra money, not to pay the bills.








Sing.
Migrate.


™Zombiehaven 2008. All ideas and photos are copyrighted under Zombiehaven. Anything used from this site, must have written permission.

5 comments:

  1. yet there are people still in denial as to how bad our economy is.
    it *is* sad. i am afraid it's not going to get any better anytime soon, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is aweful. I was wondering how all of our Mi friends were doing with the snow. My mom is still up there with my dad (he is doing a little better today actually)...and she calls me everynight to tell me how much snow they have.

    I was at the library today, and the man behind me was checking out books on dog grooming. He was explaining to a lady how he couldnt believe that at 56, he would be starting over trying to become a dog groomer.

    It really is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, this is the beginning of the end of what used to be "good times". Actually, they are done. Now is the time that people have to look at their neighbor and realize that they need something and decide if they are going to do it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this where I used to live. It was so sad. I think about all the people who are close to me who have worked hard all their lives and they cannot find work. These aren't the executive white-collared jobs. These are the people who are used to hard physical labor. I've been thinking about this a lot lately because job loss has hit so close to home and it can get so overwhelmingly depressing.

    ReplyDelete