Friday, October 24, 2008

Dating

I waited about a month after we started dated to kiss Laura. She wasn't an Evangelical Protestant Dispensationalist Christian yet (see her post about my missionary dating ministry) so I think she may have thought that was a bit odd. She was really hot, so my assumption was that she has many guys try to kiss her on the first date. Not me. We went to the cider mill, then drove around talking for hours. I didn't want to complicate things by making it a physical relationship before it should be. I had found that when I allowed that to happen, I lost a certain amount of interest in the person due to the inability to connect with the person on a higher level than endorphins. So we talked for a month or so until one night we went to the pier. I had planned to kiss her finally that night, but I was having a bit of the jitters, which is a side effect to waiting so dang long to kiss her. There was now this, it better be good, or maybe it will never happen and we are just going to be friends thing which was not acceptable to me. So I did the deed. I kissed her under a light that hung over the river. It was dark, so you couldn't even see the rats swimming, so that was good. She was not accustomed to the Detroit River yet. She looked up at me after I kissed her and said, "It's about time." I liked that, it showed my reluctance had not gone unnoticed. She saw a difference. A difference that eventually helped lead her in the direction of Jesus, whom she serves with all of her self now.
I do not buy into the fundamentalist oriented (I said oriented, so don't get mad, proponents) views of dating. Such as you must both be Christians, or you have to be friends only until you both are Christians, or I should kiss dating goodbye completely and court or whatever that even means. I just don't buy in to it. It was not done this way in the Bible. The families basically set you up with whoever benefited the guy the most back then. And everyone around was the same faith. For me, people are people who all need Jesus, and we all need love. So why not mix them together in an appropriate way (I am only a little bit kidding). If done appropriately, there is not problem with the person you choose to be with. I agree that it is easier to be with a person of the same strong faith however this can make you both lazy and do things that shouldn't be done until the proper time. When you are always making sure you represent Christ to the other so they can get an accurate view, it breeds the glorification of God. I do not prefer ministry dating, I was an idiot who was on thin ice, however, I do not think God slaps rules on this issue. However, I do think that it is probably best if you do not marry an unbeliever because the differences so often lead to divorce. Anyways this post was just going to be about when I kissed Laura, but then it blossomed into this irrelevant Zombie jumble.




™Zombiehaven 2007. All ideas and photos are copyrighted under Zombiehaven. Anything used from this site, must have written permission.

8 comments:

  1. I read your wife's account of the wedding. It is great to get the other perspective ... good job on hiding the rats. It is hard to set a mood with rats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "zombie Jumble" is my favorite. I try to get me some at least once a day. It is good for the soul. I might try marketing it very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took Kevin 3 1/2 weeks...you beat him by a few days. I think I said the same thing as Laura. It was worth the wait, though. It's a good thing that guys don't always think with their emotions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why so many comments deleted?

    ReplyDelete