Sunday, August 24, 2008

Avoidence

I have very stereotypical neighbors. I have the shirtless old man with Sanford and Sons backyard. We have the political guru with all of the campaign signs and opinions that follow. I catch myself playing the avoidance game a lot. But God never called us to play the avoidance game did he? We make contact easier and easier on ourselves by using phones instead of face to face, texting instead of phones, email, websites designed to connect you with others, when all we need to do is step outside and talk to someone. All of those things are fine and good unless they are replacing the love we need to be showing others face to face. The kind that inspires Jesus to reach out and physically touch a leper. There is this old slogan that says “Preach the Gospel always. And when necessary, use words.”

4 comments:

  1. I have a shirtless neighbor also who stand out front watching me as I come and go... no matter how many times I wave, he just turns his back on me. I don't get it

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like cut and paste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that quote.

    I wrote it on the wall in graffiti alley today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic. Now you have got me thinking. I am pretty sure I am an avoider. You just HAD to send some conviction my way.

    ReplyDelete