Monday, January 28, 2008

Invisible (For The War Children In The Sudan)

Lie in a bed of paper bags
Sit and listen to the fireworks crack
I was a soldier
I was a brick
But I can't remember the last time I laughed

Abducted from my bed
bandits blazed around my head
I was a child once
I killed my brother once
But I can't remember the last time I bled

But in the night I fly
through the courtyard
to the cellar and lie
beneath the ruins of a church that fried
Hidden beneath the feet that stomp our cries

I had a birthday
a day ago I was 13
But I wasn't young
I was my mothers son
I was an orphan once
Mixed in the soil I walk
My mothers blood

It isn't me
It isn't me I said
To the shells that fall my finger pulled
It isn't me

Today has got me thinking
Maybe the lights don't mean home
Maybe the roof resists the raining
But it won't keep you from being alone


These are song lyrics I wrote on New Years Eve 2007

invisiblechildren

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Yeah...

    This is why I want to be a missionary.

    ReplyDelete