Thursday, July 9, 2009

"Christianity"

I will not apologize for being a Christian. I believe that Jesus came as God and human and sacrificed Himself to pay for my sins, past, present, and future. I am living in the reality that I can do not wrong to my God, even though I am full of sin. I will live my life as a sacrifice for Christ, knowing I could never earn what He did for me. This is what Christianity is all about. So I proudly call myself a Christian.


However, many Christians make it hard to not shy away from the very word Christian. It sucks to treat people badly. It sucks to act like you have everything figured out. It sucks to judge people as if you know their hearts. It sucks to label and marginalize people classified by their particular sin. It sucks to sing praises to God with your lips on Sunday, then curse others with those same lips any other day.


A reality check from the Bible: Rom. 3:9 What shall we conclude then? Are we any better? Not at all! We have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under sin. 10 As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; 11 there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. 12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.” 13 “Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit.” “The poison of vipers is on their lips.” 14 “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.” 15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood; 16 ruin and misery mark their ways, 17 and the way of peace they do not know.” 18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”



I believe this is why we needed a Savior to begin with. The truth is, we are saved through Jesus, but still are pretty worthless in the grand scheme of things here in these perishable bodies. So if you want to go out and judge other people for their sin, be prepared to identify your own, because you are not without it.


Faith is about brokenness. Without the brokenness their is no need for faith, because you don't need a savior, but if you are like me, and you are, you have needed a savior since the moment your were born. This is why Christ came.


On the other hand, there are people out there like Jay Bakker, a pastor and son of the notorious Jim Bakker, who has started a campaign to apologize for Christianity. He and others believe we are all bad. I will address this now.
Jay,
Are you going to apologize for all of the services performed almost exclusively by Christians, like soup kitchens, orphanages, pregnancy centers, charities, hunger programs, clothes closets, AA, NA, and the thousands of other ministries? Or are you just going to focused on the Crusades and the Christians who act stupid?

I have heard so many people hostile to the Gospel use the term 'Most Christians' or just "Christians" when applying a negative remark. I have to ask these people: Have you actually met most Christians? My Christian friends embrace the hurting people. My friends love unconditionally. You should come and meet my friends, and I think you might see things differently. There are a lot of immature Christians and I hope and pray they keep moving forward in their faith, but do not mistake some for all, that would be a real tragedy.










Sing.
Migrate.


™Zombiehaven 2008. All ideas and photos are copyrighted under Zombiehaven. Anything used from this site, must have written permission.

2 comments:

  1. How true. I know many wonderful Christians. It is sad though that the world judges all of us by what a few have done.

    My brother refuses to believe because of the hypocrisy he sees in Christians. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. adam, i need your phone number. i would like to chat with you. i am working on a book that interviews various figures within the body of believers to help further the conversation that is already going on within the body-- how do we attain unity in Christ while being so very different (and most of us very ignorant in our actions). i have interviewed some big names (that i don't want to name drop, but i will tell you when we talk) and need some not so well known voices to be heard. seriously. give me your number. you won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete