Saturday, February 19, 2011

For Better Or Worse


We are in the age of electronics.
I don't know if this is for better or worse. I like it a lot. I told my wife today that my phone has become for all intensive purposes a part of my family. If I leave it at home, I turn right around and get it as if I left my baby in the crib sleeping. (Never done that by the way) Laura commented that 10 years ago, she didn't need to know what the neighbors down the block were doing. Now we check the internet 50 times a day in hopes of communication.

Isn't that kind of ironic? We check electricity. Static and wires, numbers and lights for communication. Then we can go off to work and walk right by a person as if they weren't there. I think our reliance on technology is a symptom of our need for each other. It is just an easier way to be together. It is easier than seeing and hearing the worst of each other. Usually we post our very best. Usually. We like to post our cleverness and humor, even when we aren't very clever or funny. But when we are standing eye to eye with another living, bleeding, breathing soul, we clam up. Well, most of you know I don't know how to clam up. I am usually the guy running his mouth begging for more listeners, but so many say nothing without their fingers. Is it good? I don't know. It can be. We can reach a lot of people we otherwise couldn't this way. Is it bad? I don't know. We use it often as our main or only communication with the world, and even that can be limited to those we physically accept as "Friends."

I say spill your world onto the streets for people to pick up or trample on. I say turn the volume all the way up, whether in person or on screen and be a person another person can remember...and hopefully admire. But I am loud. I am obnoxious at times. I refuse to be ignored. Not everyone is like me. Tell me what you think.














Sing.
Migrate.














To leave a comment, click on the specific blog title and the comment form will be at the bottom of the page.